- a seaport in S New Brunswick, in SE Canada, on the Bay of Fundy. 82,976.
* * *It is situated on the Bay of Fundy, at the mouth of the Saint John River. The site, visited by Samuel de Champlain in 1604 and fortified in the 1630s, was occupied by the British in 1758. It was chartered as the first city in Canada in 1785. The city recovered from a disastrous fire in 1877. Its year-round ice-free harbour fostered shipping, shipbuilding, and fishing. It is the province's largest city and principal port. Industries include lumbering and pulp and paper products.
* * *largest city in New Brunswick, Canada, on the Bay of Fundy (Fundy, Bay of), at the mouth of the St. John River (Saint John River). The site, visited by the French explorer Samuel de Champlain (Champlain, Samuel de) in 1604 and fortified by Charles La Tour (La Tour, Charles) (1631–35), was occupied by the British in 1758 and refortified as Fort Frederick. The latter was destroyed by American revolutionaries in 1775 but was replaced by Fort Howe (1777–78), whose blockhouse has since been reconstructed. The settlement developed after 1783, when loyalists (loyalist) established Parr Town and Carleton around the harbour. In 1785 the two communities amalgamated as St. John (after the river) to become Canada's first incorporated city. Benedict Arnold (Arnold, Benedict), the American Revolutionary traitor, lived there (1787–91). During the War of 1812 (1812, War of), Martello Tower was built on Lancaster Heights for harbour defense; it is now a national historic site.A year-round ice-free harbour fostered shipping, shipbuilding, and fishing; but economic growth was checked by a disastrous fire (1877) and a declining lumber trade. St. John recovered, absorbed the city of Portland in 1889, the city and parish of Lancaster and part of Simonds parish in 1966, and became the province's commercial, manufacturing, and transportation centre, with shipping facilities and one of the world's longest (1,050 feet [320 m]) dry docks (dry dock). St. John's primacy, however, is being challenged by Moncton. Industries include lumbering, oil refining, pulp and paper milling, shipbuilding, and construction.The New Brunswick Museum displays colonial relics and has a notable collection of ship models. The St. John Campus of the University of New Brunswick opened in 1964. A local phenomenon is the “reversing falls” at the river's mouth, where strong tidal fluctuations (bore) of nearly 30 feet (9 metres) reverse the river flow for several miles upstream twice daily. Pop. (2006) city, 68,043; metropolitan area, 122,389.▪ island, United States Virgin Islandssmallest of the U.S. Virgin Islands, just east of St. Thomas and 80 miles (130 km) east of San Juan, P.R. With a total area of 20 square miles (50 square km), St. John is 9 miles long and 5 miles wide. Its irregular coastline is indented with picturesque harbours and coves, including Trunk Bay. Bordeaux Mountain rises to 1,277 feet (989 m). The population is predominantly black and is concentrated in the two settlements—Cruz Bay, the capital, and Coral Bay (the best harbour refuge in the West Indies) at the western and southeastern ends of the island, respectively.St. John was visited by Christopher Columbus on Nov. 17, 1493. The fierce aboriginal Carib Indian inhabitants were exterminated, but the island was not settled until 1717 by planters from St. Thomas. Within less than 20 years all land was taken with sugar and cotton plantations, and the population consisted of 208 whites and 1,087 slaves. Although there was in 1733 a massive slave revolt lasting eight months, slavery was not abolished for more than 100 years.The island's economy is centred on cattle raising; bay leaves, which are gathered from a very old forest and shipped to St. Thomas for processing into bay rum; and tourism. Eighty-five percent of the island is covered with tropical vegetation and second-growth trees; two-thirds of the island was declared the Virgin Islands National Park in 1956. Pop. (1990) 3,504.
* * *
Look at other dictionaries:
Saint John — or St. John may refer to:Peopleaintscriptural saints* John the Baptist, who baptised Jesus at the start of Jesus ministry * John the Apostle, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus * John the Evangelist, author of the Gospel of John; in some… … Wikipedia
Saint John's — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Saint John s Bandera … Wikipedia Español
Saint John — (o St. John s) puede referirse a: Contenido 1 Toponimia 1.1 en Antigua y Barbuda 1.2 en Islas Vírgenes de los Estados Unidos 1.3 en Canadá … Wikipedia Español
Saint John' s B&B — (Вексфорд,Ирландия) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: 11 Lower John St … Каталог отелей
Saint John — (Лефкада,Греция) Категория отеля: Адрес: Agios Ioannis, Лефкада, 31100, Греция … Каталог отелей
Saint John's — es la capital de Antigua y Barbuda, un país situado en las Antillas, en el Mar Caribe. Con una población de 24.226 habitantes (2000), St. John s es el centro comercial del país y el principal puerto de la isla de Antigua. St. John s ha sido el… … Enciclopedia Universal
Saint John — Saint Jean ou Saint John (le) fl. des È. U. (Maine) et du Canada (Nouveau Brunswick), long de 720 km. Chutes près de son embouchure (découverte par Champlain en 1604). Saint Jean ou Saint John … Encyclopédie Universelle
Saint John  — Saint John (spr. Sent Dschohn), 1) Grafschaft der Provinz Neu Braunschweig (Britisches Nordamerika); 50,000 Ew.; 2) Hauptstadt darin, größte Stadt u. wichtigster Handelsplatz von ganz Nen Braunschweig, an der Mündung des Saint John s River in die … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Saint John's — cap. de l état d Antigua et Barbuda, port dans l île d Antigua; env. 30 000 hab. Sucreries. Saint John s ou Saint Jean v. et port du Canada; ch. l. de la prov. de Terre Neuve; 95 770 hab. Industr. de la pêche … Encyclopédie Universelle
Saint John — 1. [named after the river] seaport in S New Brunswick, Canada, at the mouth of the Saint John River: pop. 72,000 2. [named for the date of its discovery, June 24, 1604, the feast of Saint] river flowing from N Maine through New Brunswick, Canada … English World dictionary
Saint John's — [snt dʒɔnz], 1) Hauptstadt der Provinz Newfoundland, Kanada, an einer geschützten Bucht der Halbinsel Avalon, als Metropolische Area (1991) 171 900 Einwohner; katholischer Erzbischofssitz; Universität (gegründet 1925 als College, seit 1949… … Universal-Lexikon