- —Ninevite /nin"euh vuyt'/, n. —Ninevitical /nin'euh vit"i keuhl/, adj. —Ninevitish /nin"euh vuy'tish/, adj./nin"euh veuh/, n.the ancient capital of Assyria: its ruins are opposite Mosul, on the Tigris River, in N Iraq.
* * *Oldest and most populous city of ancient Assyria, on the eastern bank of the Tigris River opposite modern Mosul, Iraq.Its greatest development was under Sennacherib and Ashurbanipal in the 7th century BC. It was captured and destroyed by Nabopolassar of Babylonia and his allies, the Scythians and Medes, in 612 BC. Excavations made in 1845–51 revealed palaces, a library, city walls, and many gates and buildings.
* * *▪ ancient city, IraqIntroductionthe oldest and most populous city of the ancient Assyrian Empire (Assyria), situated on the east bank of the Tigris opposite modern Mosul, Iraq. Nineveh was located at the intersection of important north-south and east-west trade routes, and its proximity to a tributary of the Tigris, the Khawṣar River, added to the value of the fertile agricultural and pastoral lands in the district.The first person to survey and map Nineveh was the archaeologist Claudius J. Rich (Rich, Claudius James) in 1820, a work later completed by Felix Jones and published by him in 1854. Excavations have been undertaken intermittently since that period by many persons. A.H. (later Sir Henry) Layard (Layard, Sir Austen Henry) during 1845–51 discovered the palace of Sennacherib and took back to England an unrivalled collection of stone bas-reliefs together with thousands of tablets inscribed in cuneiform from the great library of Ashurbanipal. Hormuzd Rassam (Rassam, Hormuzd) continued the work in 1852. During 1929–32 R. Campbell Thompson excavated the temple of Nabu (Nebo) on behalf of the British Museum and discovered the site of the palace of Ashurnasirpal II. In 1931–32, together with M.E.L. (later Sir Max) Mallowan (Mallowan, Sir Max), Thompson for the first time dug a shaft from the top of the Quyunjik (Acropolis), 90 feet (30 metres) above the level of the plain, down through strata of accumulated debris of earlier cultures to virgin soil. It was then proved that more than four-fifths of this great accumulation is prehistoric.HistoryThe first settlement, a small Neolithic (Neolithic Period) (New Stone Age) hamlet, was probably founded not later than the 7th millennium BCE. Hassuna-Sāmarrāʾ and Tall Ḥalaf (Ḥalaf, Tall) painted pottery of the subsequent Early Chalcolithic phases, characteristic of the north, was succeeded by gray wares such as occur westward in the Jabal Sinjār. Farmers during the 4th millennium used clay sickles of a type found in the Ubaid Period (see Tall al-ʿUbayd (Ubayd, Tall al-ʿ)), and these imply contact with the south.One of the most remarkable discoveries that Mallowan and Thompson made in the prehistoric strata consisted of roughly made, bevelled bowls, overturned in the soil and filled with vegetable matter. These may have been intended as magical offerings to expel evil spirits from houses. Their typology conforms exactly with that of Uruk ( Erech) pottery, widespread throughout the Tigris–Euphrates (Tigris-Euphrates river system) Valley in the late 4th millennium. In these levels also large metal vases occur, again characteristic of southern Babylonia, and technologically this district of the Tigris had much in common with the cities of the lower Euphrates Valley at this period. This similarity is of particular interest because it indicates that some time before 3000 BCE a period of economic prosperity had united the commercial interests of north and south; later these two civilizations diverged widely.A little before and after 3000 BCE, unpainted Ninevite pottery was similar to that used at Sumerian sites; to approximately the same period belongs a series of attractively painted and incised ware known as Ninevite V, which is a home product distinct from that of the south. Beads found in these strata may be dated c. 2900 BCE.The most remarkable object of the 3rd millennium BCE is a realistic bronze head—life-size, cast, and chased—of a bearded monarch. This, the finest piece of metal sculpture (metalwork) ever recovered from Mesopotamia (Mesopotamia, history of), may represent the famous king Sargon of Akkad (c. 2334–c. 2279 BCE). This bronze (bronze work) head, however (now in the Iraq Museum, Baghdad), because of its brilliant technique and elaborately modelled features, is thought by some authorities to belong to a rather later stage of the Akkadian Period (c. 2334–c. 2154 BCE); if so, the head might represent King Naram-Sin (c. 2254–c. 2218 BCE). The hypothesis for the earlier period seems preferable, for metal work advanced more rapidly in style in Mesopotamia at that period than did stone sculpture, and it is known from inscriptions that Sargon's second son, Manishtusu, had built the temple of E-Mashmash at Nineveh by virtue of being the “son of Sargon”; thus a model of the founder of the dynasty would have been appropriately placed there.Surprisingly, there is no large body of evidence to show that Assyrian monarchs built at all extensively in Nineveh during the 2nd millennium BCE. Later monarchs whose inscriptions have appeared on the Acropolis include Shalmaneser I and Tiglath-pileser I, both of whom were active builders in Ashur; the former had founded Calah (Nimrūd). Nineveh had to wait for the neo-Assyrians, particularly from the time of Ashurnasirpal II (ruled 883–859 BCE) onward, for a considerable architectural expansion. Thereafter successive monarchs kept in repair and founded new palaces, temples to Sin, Nergal, Nanna, Shamash, Ishtar, and Nabu (Nebo). Unfortunately, severe depredations have left few remains of these edifices.It was Sennacherib who made Nineveh a truly magnificent city (c. 700 BCE). He laid out (urban planning) fresh streets and squares and built within it the famous “palace without a rival,” the plan of which has been mostly recovered and has overall dimensions of about 600 by 630 feet (180 by 190 metres). It comprised at least 80 rooms, of which many were lined with sculpture. A large part of the famous “K” collection of tablets was found there (see below); some of the principal doorways were flanked by human-headed bulls. At this time the total area of Nineveh comprised about 1,800 acres (700 hectares), and 15 great gates penetrated its walls. An elaborate system of 18 canals brought water from the hills to Nineveh, and several sections of a magnificently constructed aqueduct erected by the same monarch were discovered at Jerwan, about 25 miles (40 km) distant.His successor Esarhaddon built an arsenal in the Nabī Yūnus mound, south of Quyunjik, and either he or his successor set up statues of the pharaoh Taharqa (Tarku) at its entrance as trophies to celebrate the conquest of Egypt. These were discovered by Fuad Safar and Muḥammad ʿAlī Muṣṭafā on behalf of the Iraqi Department of Antiquities in 1954.Ashurbanipal later in the 7th century BCE constructed a new palace at the northwest end of the Acropolis. He also founded the great library and ordered his scribes to collect and copy ancient texts throughout the country. The “K” collection included more than 20,000 tablets or fragments of tablets and incorporated the ancient lore of Mesopotamia. The subjects are literary, religious, and administrative, and a great many tablets are in the form of letters. Branches of learning represented include mathematics, botany, chemistry, and lexicology. The library contains a mass of information about the ancient world and will exercise scholars for generations to come.Fourteen years after the death of Ashurbanipal, however, Nineveh suffered a defeat from which it never recovered. Extensive traces of ash, representing the sack of the city by Babylonians, Scythians (Scythian), and Medes (Media) in 612 BCE, have been found in many parts of the Acropolis. After 612 BCE the city ceased to be important, although there are some Seleucid (Seleucid kingdom) and Greek remains. Xenophon in the Anabasis recorded the name of the city as Mespila. In the 13th century CE the city seems to have enjoyed some prosperity under the atabegs of Mosul. Subsequently, houses continued to be inhabited at least as late as the 16th century CE. In these later levels imitations of Chinese wares have been found.Outline of the cityFrom the ruins it has been established that the perimeter of the great Assyrian city wall was about 7.5 miles (12 km) long and in places up to 148 feet (45 metres) wide; there was also a great unfinished outer rampart, protected by a moat, and the Khawṣar River flowed through the centre of the city to join the Tigris on the western side of it.The 15 great gates that intersected the Acropolis walls were built partly of mud brick and partly of stone. The long eastern sector, about 3 miles (5 km), contained six gates; the southern sector, 2,624 feet (800 metres), contained only one, the Ashur Gate; the western sector, about 2.5 miles (4 km), had five gates; the northern sector, about 1.2 miles (1.9 km), three gates, Adad, Nergal, and Sin. Several of these entrances are known to have been faced with stone colossi (lamassu). In the Nergal Gate two winged stone bulls, attributable to Sennacherib, have been reinstalled: a site museum has been erected adjacent to it by the Iraqi Department of Antiquities. The Adad Gate contained many inscribed tiles, and what may prove to be the Sin Gate contained a corridor that led through an arched doorway into a ramp or stairwell giving access to the battlements.Most impressive was the Shamash Gate, which has been thoroughly excavated by Tariq Madhloum on behalf of the Iraqi Department of Antiquities. It was found to have been approached across two moats and a watercourse by a series of bridges in which the arches were cut out of the natural conglomerate. The wall was faced with limestone and surmounted by a crenellated parapet, behind which ran a defense causeway. The structure was constructed of mud as well as burnt bricks, which bore the stamp of Sennacherib. There was an entrance 14.8 feet (4.5 metres) wide in the centre of a long, projecting bastion, which was further strengthened by six towers. Crudely incised stone slabs on the inner side of the gateway depicted the burning of a tower; it is possible that these carvings represented the fall of Nineveh and are post-Assyrian. The internal plan of the gate includes six great chambers lined with uncarved orthostats (upright slabs), which were discovered by Layard and Rassam.Archaeologists also have been active within the Quyunjik (Acropolis). Since 1966 restoration has proceeded on the throne room of Sennacherib's palace and some of the adjoining chambers. All the entrances to the two main chambers were found flanked by winged bull colossi, and a series of orthostats not recorded by any of the 19th-century excavators has been recovered. One such slab illustrates a foreign city, heavily defended by towers, surrendering to the Assyrian army. Adjoining the throne room is a stone-paved bathroom, and the great antehall contained no fewer than 40 carved orthostats. The subjects represented include Sennacherib's campaigns against mountain-dwelling peoples, besieged cities, and units of the Assyrian army.Sir Max MallowanAdditional ReadingA.H. Layard, Nineveh and Its Remains, with an Enquiry into the Manners and Arts of the Ancient Assyrians, 2nd ed., 2 vol. (1849); Discoveries in the Ruins of Nineveh and Babylon, with Travels in Armenia, Kurdistan and the Desert (1853); R. Campbell Thompson, R.W. Hutchinson, and M.E.L. Mallowan, in Liverpool Annals of Archaeology and Anthropology, 18:79–112, 19:55–116, 20:71–186 (1931–33), containing accounts of the excavations on the site of the palace of Ashurnasirpal in 1929–30, on the site of the Temple of Ishtar in 1931–32, and in the mound of Quyunjik; R. Campbell Thompson and R.W. Hutchinson, A Century of Exploration of Nineveh (1929); J.P.G. Finch, “The Winged Bulls at the Nergal Gate of Nineveh,” Iraq, 10:9–18 (1948); Tariq Madhloum, “Excavations at Nineveh: A Preliminary Report (1965–1967),” Sumer, 23:76–82 (1967), a short account of the excavations and restoration work carried out in 1965–67 necessitated by the development and rapid growth of the city of Mosul; and “Nineveh (1967–1968) Campaign,” Sumer, 24:45–52 (1968), containing the results of further excavation work.
* * *
Look at other dictionaries:
NINEVEH — (Heb. נִינְוֶה; Akk. Ninua, Ninâ; in Mari Ninuwa; Ar. Ninawa), the capital of the Assyrian empire from Sennacherib s time on, situated about 1 mi. (about 1½ km.) E. of the Tigris, opposite modern Mosul. Since the cuneiform for Nineveh (Ninâ) is a … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Nineveh — ist der Name mehrerer Orte in den Vereinigten Staaten: Nineveh (Indiana) Nineveh (New York) Nineveh (Ohio) Nineveh (Pennsylvania) Nineveh (Texas) Nineveh (Virginia) Nineveh Junction (New York) in England: Nineveh (Worcestershire) siehe auch:… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nineveh — prop. n. An ancient Assyrian city. [WordNet 1.5] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Nineveh — [nin′ə və] capital of ancient Assyria, on the Tigris: ruins opposite modern Mosul in N Iraq … English World dictionary
Nineveh — Coordinates: 36°21′34″N 43°09′10″E / 36.35944°N 43.15278°E / 36.35944; 43.15278 For other uses, see Nine … Wikipedia
Nineveh — One of the most important cities of ancient Assyria and Mesopotamia, situated on the left bank of the Tigris River in the outskirts of the modern city of Mosul, Iraq. Most of ancient Nineveh (or Ninua) lies beneath two sprawling debris mounds… … Ancient Mesopotamia dictioary
Nineveh — First mentioned in Gen. 10:11, which is rendered in the Revised Version, He [i.e., Nimrod] went forth into Assyria and builded Nineveh. It is not again noticed till the days of Jonah, when it is described (Jonah 3:3; 4:11) as a great and… … Easton's Bible Dictionary
NINEVEH — (ancient NINUA) City in Assyria, on the left bank of the river Tigris, now situated on the outskirts of the modern city of Mosul. The ancient site comprises the ruin fields of Kuyunjik and Nebi Yunus. It was first discovered in the mid 19th… … Historical Dictionary of Mesopotamia
Nineveh — The capital of Assyria, on the eastern bank of the River Tigris, and once the most powerful city in the world; but it was captured by the Babylonians and Medes in 612 BCE. The city s end was expected by Zephaniah [[➝ Zephaniah, book of]]… … Dictionary of the Bible
Nineveh — or Latin Ninus geographical name ancient city capital of Assyria; ruins in Iraq on the Tigris opposite Mosul … New Collegiate Dictionary