- /drez"deuhn/; Ger. /drddays"deuhn/, n.the capital of Saxony in E Germany, on the Elbe River. 518,057.
* * *City (pop., 2002: 478,600), situated on the Elbe River, eastern Germany.Originally a Slavonic settlement, it was the residence of the margraves of Meissen in the early 13th century. The Dresden china industry originated there but was moved to Meissen in 1710 (see Meissen porcelain). Napoleon I made Dresden a centre of military operations and won his last great battle there in 1813. Dresden was occupied by Prussia in 1866. In World War II, it was severely damaged by Allied bombing raids in 1945. Several of its historic buildings have been restored or reconstructed. It is known for its art galleries, museums, and other cultural institutions. Industries produce precision and optical instruments.
* * *▪ Germanycity, capital of Saxony Land (state), eastern Germany. Dresden is the traditional capital of Saxony and the third largest city in eastern Germany after Berlin and Leipzig. It lies in the broad basin of the Elbe River between Meissen and Pirna, 19 miles (30 km) north of the Czech border and 100 miles (160 km) south of Berlin. Sheltering hills north and south of the Elbe valley contribute to the mild climate enjoyed by Dresden; the Elbe valley around the city was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2004 for the numerous parks and cultural monuments that exist along its course, particularly a steel bridge (1891–93), a cable railway (1898–1901), and a funicular (1894–95).Dresden originated as the Slav village of Drezdzany, meaning “Forest Dwellers on the Plain,” on the Elbe's north bank. First mentioned in 1216, the town on the south bank was founded at a ford by Margrave Dietrich of Meissen as a German colony. The Slav settlement on the north bank, although older, was known as New Town and the later German town on the south bank as Old Town.In 1270 Dresden became the capital of Margrave Henry the Illustrious, and after his death it belonged to the king of Bohemia and the margrave of Brandenburg until it was restored about 1319 to the margraves of Meissen, who chartered it in 1403. Upon the division of Saxony in 1485 it became the residence and capital of the Albertine line of Wettin rulers, later electors and kings of Saxony. Dresden accepted the Protestant Reformation in 1539. After a disastrous fire in 1491, the city was rebuilt and fortified. The electors Augustus I and Augustus II modernized the city in the Baroque and Rococo styles in the late 17th and 18th centuries, rebuilding New Town (burned in 1685) and founding Friedrichstadt, northwest of Old Town. The Treaty of Dresden (1745), between Prussia, Saxony, and Austria, ended the second Silesian War and confirmed Silesia as Prussian. Two-thirds destroyed in the Seven Years' War (1756–63), Dresden's fortifications were later dismantled. In 1813 Napoleon I made the town a centre of military operations and there won his last great battle on August 26 and 27 (see Battle of Dresden (Dresden, Battle of)). Dresden's prosperity grew rapidly during the 19th century, accelerated by the completion of railways connecting the city to Berlin and Leipzig. Industrial suburbs began to grow up, mostly on the south bank.Before World War II, Dresden was called “the Florence on the Elbe” and was considered one of the world's most beautiful cities owing to its architecture and art treasures. During the war, however, it was almost completely destroyed by massive bombing raids that took place on the night of February 13–14, 1945, by 800 aircraft of an Anglo-American force. The city continued to be bombarded in raids lasting until April 17. The raids obliterated much of Dresden, killing between 35,000 and 135,000 people, but achieved little militarily. The city was so badly damaged that it was suggested that the best approach might be to level the site. After the war a compromise was reached by rebuilding the Zwinger, the Saxon royal palace, and the Baroque buildings around the palace and creating a new city in the area outside. Much of the city was subsequently reconstructed with modern (though rather plain) buildings, broad streets and squares, and green open spaces, with the aim of preserving as far as possible the character of the old city.Manufacturing in Dresden expanded greatly after World War II. Owing to the paucity of raw materials in the vicinity, the city traditionally eschewed heavy industry in favour of high value-added manufacturing. Its industries currently produce precision and optical instruments, electrical equipment, specialized chemicals and pharmaceutical products, motor vehicles and airplanes, and food products. Microelectronics has also grown in significance. Market gardening is extensive, and flowers and shrubs are grown for export. The European porcelain industry originated in Dresden but was moved to Meissen (Meissen porcelain), 15 miles (24 km) northwest, in 1710. Dresden lies at the centre of an extensive railway system, has an airport, and is connected by the Elbe River with the inland waterway system as far as Hamburg and into the Czech Republic.The heart of Dresden is still a cluster of Baroque churches and the Rococo-style Zwinger on the south bank of the Elbe, in the old city. These churches suffered severely during World War II: the Frauenkirche (“Church of Our Lady”; 1726–43), Germany's largest Protestant church, was destroyed; the Hofkirche (“Court Church”; 1738–55) and the Kreuzkirche (“Church of the Holy Cross”; restored 1491, 1764–92, and 1900) were restored shortly after the war. The ruins of the Frauenkirche were kept as a memorial until the 1990s, when reconstruction began; in 2004 it was topped with a cross built by a British silversmith who was a son of one of the pilots who had dropped bombs on the city. Work was completed in 2005, and the Frauenkirche subsequently opened to the public. The Georgenschloss, the former royal palace (1530–35, restored 1889–1901), was also heavily damaged by bombing. Other historic buildings have also either been restored or reconstructed, including the Taschenbergpalais, which has been rebuilt as a hotel, and the Wettinerpalais.Dresden has several major museums and art galleries. The famous Zwinger (1711–32), which was originally planned as the forecourt for a castle, has been restored and its numerous collections (including pewter and porcelain) and museums (zoology, mineralogy, mathematical and scientific instruments) reopened. In the open space north of the Zwinger, the Semper Gallery (1846) was destroyed in 1945 but was reopened in 1960, with renovations continuing into the 1990s. The gallery houses important Renaissance and Baroque paintings by Italian, Dutch, and Flemish masters, including Raphael's Sistine Madonna (1513). The Japanese Palace, formerly housing a manuscript and map library, has been rebuilt and is now a museum of anthropology and ethnography.Dresden is also a city of music with a great operatic tradition, where Carl Maria von Weber (Weber, Carl Maria von) and Richard Wagner (Wagner, Richard) conducted and where operas by Richard Strauss (Strauss, Richard) and others premiered. The Opera House (1878), destroyed in the war, was reconstructed. The city is the home of the Dresden State Theatre and the Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra (founded 1870). There is a music college and colleges of medicine, plastic arts, transport, and teachers' training, as well as a celebrated Academy of Art. Dresden is also a major centre for scientific education and research, particularly in the atomic field. The city is the site of a Technical University (1828), with a library containing more than one million volumes; the Central Institute for Nuclear Physics; and the German Museum of Hygiene, internationally known for its manufacture of transparent plastic anatomical models. There are several historic parks, notably the Grosse Garten (1676), which lies southeast of the old city and has botanical and zoological gardens. Pop. (2003 est.) 483,632.
* * *
Look at other dictionaries:
Dresden — Dresden … Deutsch Wörterbuch
Dresden — • The capital of the Kingdom of Saxony and the residence of the royal family, is situated on both sides of the Elbe Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Dresden Dresden … Catholic encyclopedia
DRESDEN — DRESDEN, capital of Saxony, Germany. A Jewish community existed there in the early 14th century, and its members were massacred in the black death persecutions of 1349. Jews are not mentioned in Dresden again until 1375. They were expelled in… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Dresden — Dresden, NY U.S. village in New York Population (2000): 307 Housing Units (2000): 139 Land area (2000): 0.305427 sq. miles (0.791053 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.305427 sq. miles (0.791053… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Dresden  — Dresden (hierzu der Stadtplan: Dresden mit den Vororten und Innere Stadt, mit Registerblatt), Residenz und Hauptstadt des Königreichs Sachsen sowie Hauptort der gleichnamigen Kreishauptmannschaft (s. unten, S. 201), wegen ihrer anmutigen Lage… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Dresden — Dresden. Wenn der Frühling die Fluren und Wälder des mittleren und südlichen Deutschlands früher mit seinem Grün und seinem Blüthenschnee schmückt, als jene der nördlichern Grade, dann pilgern die gebildeten und wohlhabenden Bewohner… … Damen Conversations Lexikon
Dresden  — Dresden, 1) Kreisdirectionsbezirk od. Kreis des Königreichs Sachsen, gebildet aus dem ehemaligen M eißner Kreise (mit Ausschluß des halben Amtes Stolpen) u. den Ämtern Altenberg, Frauenstein u. Freiberg des vormaligen Erzgebirgischen Kreises, 78… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Dresden, KS — U.S. city in Kansas Population (2000): 51 Housing Units (2000): 28 Land area (2000): 0.943217 sq. miles (2.442922 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.943217 sq. miles (2.442922 sq. km) FIPS code:… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Dresden, NY — U.S. village in New York Population (2000): 307 Housing Units (2000): 139 Land area (2000): 0.305427 sq. miles (0.791053 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.305427 sq. miles (0.791053 sq. km) FIPS… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Dresden, OH — U.S. village in Ohio Population (2000): 1423 Housing Units (2000): 687 Land area (2000): 1.167008 sq. miles (3.022536 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.043650 sq. miles (0.113052 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.210658 sq. miles (3.135588 sq. km) FIPS… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Dresden, TN — U.S. town in Tennessee Population (2000): 2855 Housing Units (2000): 1331 Land area (2000): 5.307737 sq. miles (13.746975 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.010315 sq. miles (0.026717 sq. km) Total area (2000): 5.318052 sq. miles (13.773692 sq. km)… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places